The holidays are just around the corner, and if you’re like many people, you probably have some concerns about the health impact of chowing down on all your favorite holiday goodies. But if you eat in moderation, there’s no reason to feel guilty about indulging in holiday favorites, especially if you keep up your exercise routine and you pair traditional holiday dishes with these delicious avocado pairings.
Yes, avocados go great with some of your holiday favorites — you may be surprised by how much of a supporting role they can play! Of course avocado slices or a creamy guacamole are a match made in heaven when paired with chicken tamales, or these sweet potato empanadas. But what about with a ham or turkey dinner?
Here are just a few quick tips for making avocados shine at your next holiday meal.
1. Start the meal off with this holiday avocado fruit salad, or make a thick and hearty avo dressing to fancy up your holiday greens.
3. Whether you prefer potatoes or rice, you have some delicious options for adding avocados into the mix. Check out these two avocado pairings with these au gratin potatoes, or this festive Christmas-colored rice. You can even add avocados to your favorite baked veggie dish.
If your avocados aren’t quite ripe, you can use the dry rice you have on hand for this recipe to help soften them up! Watch the video here.
4. Great avocado pairings aren’t limited to dinner! For the kids, try these tree-shaped avo toasts as part of your holiday-morning meal.
5. Do you love to make chocolates for the holidays? Avocado makes delicious, creamy truffles. Your guests will go wild for these!
6. Avocados also make an excellent base for a smooth, silky ice cream. This recipe is for pistachio ice cream, but you can flavor yours with vanilla, chocolate, mint, or your favorite holiday spices. Pair it with just-from-the-oven pie for best results!
8. And, of course, it wouldn’t be the holidays without a glass of frothy eggnog! Make your rompopo extra thick by adding avocados using this take on a classic recipe.
If you don’t want to worry about ripening avocados at home, be sure to buy fruit at just the right ripeness. Consider both the color of the skin and firmness of the flesh to find the ones that are just right. Watch the video here to learn more!